How to Make Travel Insurance Claims
So, your flight has been scheduled, you are sick, or your luggage has got lost. What next? First, you need to have the necessary contact details to report the situation immediately. It’s worth noting that most insurance companies have stipulated reporting times for claims. So, you can only receive your claims if you made a report within the stipulated period.
You only need to fill the claims form but with the right details. In case there are supporting documents, make sure that you also provide them. For instance, if you are paid legal fees or medical fees, you may need to furnish the insurer with the necessary receipts. Alternatively, if you were robbed, you need to first contact the relevant authorities before the insurer.
Fill the Claims Form on Time
To be on the safe side, make sure that you make the claims within 7 days. Contact the insurer by email or phone call. They will advise you the necessary steps you need to take and if you need to involve the authorities.
Fill the Forms Correctly
When filling the claims forms, ensure that you provide accurate details. Outline clearly what you are making claims for. It should be noted that the claims procedure for medical costs isn’t the same as that for lost documents or theft.
Prepare the Relevant Documents
Sometimes you need to attach evidence for your claims. So, you must attach all the relevant documents to avoid all possible delays. Some of the documentation that you may need to successfully support your claims include:
- Medical bills or report.
- Death certificate.
- Motor accident report.
Trip Cancellation/Delay Documents
- The original invoice for trip cancellation.
- Original tour or vacation booking receipt.
Lost Documents or Money
- Police report lodged within 24 hours.
- Passport replacement costs.
Lost Personal Effects
- Bag tags
- An irregularity/damage/loss report from the airline
- Photographs of lost or damaged items
Submit Your Claim
Make sure that you make your submission within the allotted time and then wait for a response. You will get contacted with 2-3 days. In case there is a need for more information, you will be contacted within 7 working days. If your claim is approved, you will receive your payments within 1 to 3 business days.
Prepare to Make Your Appeal
What if you make claims and the insurer fails to give you your claims? Well, it’s possible that they may have misjudged your circumstances. So, you need to prepare an appeal. Make sure that you add extra information which will make your claim successful.
Possible Exceptions for Claims
As much as insurance is supposed to cover accidents or things that might go wrong while you are travelling, you will not be always compensated. It’s, therefore, important for you to carefully read the details of your travel insurance. This will help you understand what is covered and the exceptions. Generally, you will not receive claims for the following:
- In case you are injured under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- If you need medical insurance as a result of a special pre-existing condition that is not under the policy. If you are suffering from a pre-existing medical condition, you need to buy a speciality medical cover for it. Otherwise, you will not receive your claims.
- Engaging in unlawful or illegal activities such as theft, racial abuse, etc.
- Travelling to a destination that’s considered highly volatile. According to the Foreign Affairs Ministry, there are countries which are dangerous to Singaporeans. They include Sudan, Somalia, Afghanistan, Syria, and Iraq among others. In case there is a travel advisory issued for a certain country and you still went ahead and travelled to that destination, rest assured that you will receive nothing.
- Failure to adequately protect yourself and your belongings. This is usually considered as negligence and you will be allocated nothing. For instance, leaving your belongings in high-risk areas, engaging in fights that can result in injuries, etc.
There is no doubt that more and more Singaporeans are now buying travel insurance than before. People don’t want to deal with the expensive costs, anxiety, and worry that comes with unexpected events. But before you buy any insurance cover, it’s important that you compare what different sites have to offer. A comparison overview allows you to buy a policy that suits your needs and budget. Besides that, you will be able to understand what makes brands unique.
Take your time, match your needs with the type of coverage you are interested in, then proceed to make your payments. There is definitely no better way to travel stress-free other than buying travel insurance policy plan.