1.Take note of the basic coverage.
Based on MOM, employers are required to purchase a maid insurance plan for each foreign worker employ. The insurance details need to be submitted online before the Work Permit can be issued.
Medical insurance of at least $15,000 per year for each FDW. This policy must be maintained throughout her stay in Singapore. The policy must cover inpatient care and day surgery which includes hospital bills for conditions that may not be work-related.
Personal accident coverage must have a sum assured of at least $60,000 annually. This must cover sudden or unforeseen or any unexpected incidents resulting in permanent disability or death. This is essential to protect your helper and helper especially in the case of permanent disability or passing away due to accidents. This compensation is payable to your helper or her beneficiaries.
Also, MOM is requiring for a $5,000 security bond for each foreign domestic worker you employ. So, it’s a must to look up also when you are buying the main insurance plan.
A co-pay arrangement can also be considered with the work permit holder only if:
- Medical treatment is not work-related inpatient expenses
- Reasonable co-pay amount which must not exceed 10% of your FDW salary.
- Co-pay duration will not exceed 6 months
- The co-pay arrangement is indicated in the employment contract or a collective agreement and must have a worker’s consent.
2. Be aware of your helper has a pre-existing condition.
By knowing your helper’s pre-existing, you can consider plans that can cover your helper’s pre-existing condition. Also, you can identify those maid insurance plans that can’t cover his/her condition.